Acne is the most common skin condition in the world, affecting an estimated 80 percent of people between the ages of 11-30. And while breakouts can be embarrassing enough, they sometimes leave behind scars. At The Vein Institute of Hunterdon, we offer combination treatments to improve the appearance of the scar, which will be determined by the provider.
What Are Acne Scars?
Acne scars are caused by the inflammation of acne blemishes. They can take on two main forms, either by developing a scar where there is a loss of tissue, resulting in an indentation on the surface of the skin, or by developing a scar that is raised above the surface of the skin, from the overproduction of repair tissue, or collagen.
Out of these forms, a few different types of acne scarring can develop.
- Ice pick scars. This type of scar resembles an indentation caused by an ice pick as it consists of a hole that’s wide at the top and then narrows to a point as it goes deeper into the skin. These indentations are common and some of the most challenging to heal. They are usually found on the forehead and upper cheeks, where the skin is thinner.
- Boxcar scars. These scars have sharp edges to their indentation. They can go deep into the skin and are usually found on the lower cheeks and jaw.
- Rolling scars. These indented scars can also be found on the lower cheeks and jaw and have sloping edges that make the skin look wavy and uneven.
- Keloid or hypertrophic scars. These scars rise above the skin. They are caused when the skin overcompensates and forms more collagen than is necessary to heal, causing a raised bump. They can usually be found on the back, shoulders, chest, and jawline and can sometimes be tender or painful.
How Do Acne Scars Form?
Acne scars form when the wall of the affected pore swells and breaks down. Some skin lesions are small, and as the scars are created, they are shallow and can heal quickly. Sometimes the content of the blemish spills into the surrounding tissues, causing deeper scars. This loss of tissue creates pits or indentations in the skin, or it triggers the process of repair where the skin creates collagen. When too much collagen is created, raised scars appear.
Tips for Preventing Acne Scars
There are many ways to prevent acne scars from happening before they appear.
- Don’t pick, squeeze, or scratch acne: Damaging the skin by picking at it promotes even more inflammation, which can make scarring worse.
- Treat acne immediately: The longer acne goes untreated, the more likely scars will form.
- Wear sunblock: Too much sun can darken scarring, making it appear more pronounced.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking tobacco can increase the risk of scarring, affecting acne scars or general scars on the body.
- See a dermatologist: Seeing a professional can help treat acne before it scars.
Improving the Appearance of Acne Scars
Consult with a specialist about your acne scars; they can help determine the type and the best treatments for an individual’s needs. Acne scar removal options include over-the-counter creams that contain active ingredients such as:
- Alpha hydroxy acids
- Salicylic acid
- Lactic acid
For stubborn acne scars, cosmetic procedures are available, such as:
- Chemical peels. This procedure uses certain chemicals to remove the top layer of old skin, allowing the new skin to grow smoother and with fewer scars.
- Dermabrasion. This treatment utilizes a special tool to remove the top layer of skin.
- Microdermabrasion. A similar treatment to dermabrasion, this procedure uses a special machine to remove the top layer of skin.
These can be effective methods of treatment. But if your acne scars are still causing you discomfort, TVI uses a combination therapy of Laser GenesisTM and microneedling with PRP to achieve maximum results in improving the appearance of mild to moderate acne scars on the face.
Laser GenesisTM is a non-invasive heat based laser treatment that restores skin tone and improves scarring, active acne, fine lines, redness, Rosacea and large pores. It is a short, painless treatment that stimulates collagen production, rejuvenating the skin. Results are subtle and consistent without unwanted side effects like bruising or excessive skin irritation. Each Laser GenesisTM treatment leaves you with healthier skin and offers results that build over time.
Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, helps reduce fine lines, vertical lines around the mouth, wrinkles, sun damage, acne scars and large pores, providing overall skin rejuvenation and dramatically improving the appearance of your skin’s texture. This safe and effective treatment is good for most skin types and has a rapid recovery time.
While acne scars are very common, they aren’t something you have to live with. The Vein Institute can help you achieve your skin goals. If you are interested in Laser GenesisTM , microneedling with PRP or want to schedule a consultation with one of our specialists, please fill out our contact form or call us at 908-788-0066 today.