What is Microneedling?
Microneedling aids in the reduction of mild to moderate scarring, acne scars, large pores, fine lines, mild pigmentation and overall skin texture.
How Does Microneedling Work?
- Because microneedling can be mildly uncomfortable, your practitioner or provider may apply a topical anesthetic before treatment.
- A pen-shaped device with fine needles is used to make tiny and evenly spaced pricks in the skin. The Vein Institute uses SkinPen, one of the first FDA-approved devices for microneedling in the United States.
- The minuscule punctures prompt your body to start its wound healing response.
- The body works to treat the injury by producing fresh collagen and elastin, which are what gives your skin its strength and ability to stretch, as well as a more youthful appearance, such as before damage had occurred.
Benefits of Microneedling
Microneedling has the added benefit of providing an avenue for therapeutic products to get through the skin’s barrier, allowing them to work more efficiently. Because skin that has undergone microneedling allows easier absorption of substances by the body, be sure you only use treatments your practitioner or provider has approved to avoid a potentially toxic response.
This treatment has been used for 25 years, providing data on many benefits:
- There have been few reports of adverse effects.
- Most skin types tolerate the treatment very well, including darker skin tones.
- The cost is less expensive than similar treatments, such as lasers.
- This treatment allows for quick healing and a rapid recovery time.
Is Microneedling Safe?
There have been many studies done on the safety and efficacy of microneedling. One study concluded that microneedling made the skin seem more radiant, smooth, bright and improved the overall texture with few side effects and hardly any downtime.
Another study found that when microneedling was done in a professional setting for at least four weeks, the skin appeared younger and smoother than without the treatment. Scientific evidence has proven that microneedling is a more safe skin resurfacing alternative to other invasive laser treatments that require a lot of downtime.
When Will I See Results?
Microneedling is not a quick-fix treatment. Your body needs time to complete the healing process and repair itself by growing new tissue. Also, a series of treatments is usually required for full desired results, ranging from two to six treatments given four to six weeks apart.
Who is a Candidate for Microneedling?
Microneedling provides more subtle and natural-looking improvements instead of a faster, dramatic change to your appearance, such as with a dermal filler or injectable. If you’re looking to physically heal damage to your skin and want to return to your naturally youthful glow without drastic changes, microneedling may be the best treatment.
If you are interested in learning more about microneedling and how it can help you achieve your skin care goals, please fill out our contact form or call us at 908-788-0066. The Vein Institute is dedicated to helping you achieve your best skin in a comfortable, safe and professional environment.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Give us a call at
or schedule a free consultation to learn more!