What Is PRP Hair Restoration?
What Is PRP Hair Restoration?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) hair restoration is a non-surgical procedure that prevents hair loss and promotes new hair growth.
Platelet-rich plasma therapy consists of two elements: plasma (the liquid portion of your blood) and platelets (blood cells that help your body heal). Besides being able to clot wounds, platelets also contain growth factors that can stimulate tissue regeneration and cause cell reproduction.
Research shows that PRP can offer great results to patients who are losing hair. In a study that followed 23 male patients before and after treatment, patients saw an increase in the number of hairs and hair density in treated areas. Another literature review that looked at over 32 publications concluded that PRP was a safe and effective way to increase hair thickness and slow hair loss, all without major side effects.
How Is the Procedure Performed?
PRP for hair restoration has just three steps:
- Blood is drawn, most likely from your arm.
- The blood is put in a centrifuge to separate the plasma-rich platelets from the red blood cells and plasma-poor platelets.
- You’ll be given local anesthesia to numb discomfort, and then your doctor will inject the PRP solution into your scalp.
At The Vein Institute of Hunterdon, we also use another minimally invasive technique called microneedling, which involves creating micro-wounds to superficial tissue on your scalp using a special tool. Next, we apply PRP to the skin of the scalp, where it can be absorbed easier because of the microneedling wounds. The small punctures begin to heal within a few minutes, but not before your body absorbs the stimulating PRP solution.
Who Is a Good Candidate for PRP Hair Restoration?
PRP hair restoration can help a wide range of patients, including:
- Anyone experiencing hair loss
- Patients suffering from alopecia (including patchy hair loss or balding)
- Those suffering from hair loss due to stress
- Patients who are trying to thicken, strengthen or grow hair from hair follicles that are still functioning
For the best results, you should seek out PRP as soon as you notice your hair loss. Experts agree that PRP works best for those with early hair loss, though it can still offer results for those with more advanced baldness.
What Are the Benefits of PRP Hair Restoration?
PRP hair restoration has a long history of medicinal use related to tissue healing and regeneration. Benefits include:
- Individualized treatments: PRP therapy can be completely customizable to your specific hair loss needs
- Non-invasive procedure: Transplants and other procedures can be painful and complicated, but PRP injections can be done in the office without a long recovery process
- Treats hair loss at its source: PRP treats hair loss by stimulating inactive hair follicles, addressing the root cause of the issue
- PRP therapy looks natural: PRP injections cause few side effects, making treatment totally undetectable
- Convenience: PRP therapy is pain-free and can be done in about 45 minutes—even on your lunch break
Pre/Post Procedure Dos and Don’ts
You can take several steps before and after the procedure to maximize your results and limit any side effects.
- Shampoo and condition your hair to sterilize your scalp before the procedure
- Eat a healthy meal and stay hydrated to avoid dizziness, fainting, or nausea when your blood is drawn
- Don’t use hair products like hairspray or hair gel at least three days prior to your injections
- Don’t drink or smoke heavily before the procedure, as this can affect your platelet count
- Unless the site of the injection is very irritated, wash your hair on your regular schedule
- Feel free to resume normal activities immediately, as PRP won’t slow you down at all
- Don’t chemically alter your hair by getting a perm or coloring it for at least 72 hours after the injection, as the chemicals can irritate the injection site.
Learn More About PRP Hair Restoration
At The Vein Institute of Hunterdon, we provide PRP hair restoration to give our patients an effective and safe way to restore their luscious locks. Let us offer you a solution that will meet your needs. To find out more information about PRP hair restoration or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.